Sterling was born 7/11/11. . . so next year we will be getting free slurpees to celebrate! He was born at 8:05 am. We ended up deciding to get a c section several days before. On the 7th I had to go and get a Non-stress test. After the stress test the doctor told me to go the hospital to get another NST and an ultrasound. Six hours later the doctor came in and told me that the baby is over 9 lbs and the cord is wrapped around his neck. He said that because the baby is over 9 lbs, I have the option of a c-section. I asked if I could talk to my husband about it and he said he just needed to know the next day. So, me and my hubby prayed about it and strongly felt like we should get the c-section. . . YIKES!
First family photo. . . Mattie boy jokes about how Sterling looks like the emperor on Star Wars in this pic!
Throughout my stay at the hospital (monday through friday) my doctor repeatedly told me every time he saw me that it was a really good thing that we got the c-section. I feel like we were very blessed to have that ultrasound before he was born, otherwise we would not have considered the c-section--and who knows what would have happened.
Here is the onesie I made for him. . . I made his dad a "Big guy" shirt too. They both wore them the first day! But I forgot to get a picture of them together.
First day of recovery wasn't too bad. . . I was not allowed to get out of bed, which was just fine with me! I was on a fluid diet. . .wahoo. Second day they took the iv and catheter off and told me I needed to start walking. Unfortunately, my hubby had gone back to work that day because I figured with the nurses there I would be just fine. Well, at the hospital they keep the babies in with the mom's 24/7--which was great every other day, but day 2 was horrible. It took me 5 minutes just to get out of bed. So, if Sterling started to cry, it took me forever to get to him. .. meanwhile he is crying like crazy, quivering his lip and tears are flowing from his eyes. I felt like a horrible mother :( I had a few break downs that day. At one point I couldn't even open the drawer that had the diapers in it, so I pushed the red button to call the nurse in. . . she never came. Eventually I got it open myself. After that ordeal, the lactation consultant came in to help me get the baby to latch better. In the end she told me it was my fault because I gave him the pacifier the night before. So, then I just felt like the scum mother of the earth. After she left. . . I cried again. Finally, the shifts switched and I got another nurse, I think she realized that I had been crying and gave me some extra help and encouragement. She asked how nursing was going and I told her what the lactation consultant told me and she reassured me that it wasn't my fault--or the pacifier. Then that night, I suddenly got the chills, and my whole body was shaking. I started crying again, because I was scared and my body had never shook that hard. So, Matt called the nurse in and because I was running a fever they put me on 3 different antibiotics because they weren't sure if it was an infection or not. The next day I felt fine. Sorry about that. . . I am done with the drama now! The following days went much smoother! Because of the second day, I called my mom and asked her to come spend the day with me and help me. That day seemed like a piece of cake compared to the day before! My mom is amazing! That day I was in a lot of pain because I hadn't "passed gas" yet. That was more painful than the incision. The nurses gave me Simethicone to help it. . . but it did NOT help at all. So, I started taking walks. . . finally the next day I was gas free! I have never been so thankful to pass gas! Hopefully I am not grossing anyone out! On thursday I was hoping to go home, but the doctor made me stay an extra day to make sure I didn't have an infection. I was not too happy about that!
Going home outfit! Compliments of Aunt Mary! Blanket made by my mom!
Socks brought to you by Sue and Annie P.
Finally, we got to go home Friday! . . . and we haven't left much since!
Disclaimer: Hopefully this post made sense! I am a tired mommy, so please forgive my punctuation, etc.!

Congrats!! Glad you guys choose a c-section! I'm so sorry you were stressed. But, the nurse was right about the pacifier (not the consultant)!! I'm so glad you guys are doing better. It takes a while for those hormones to even out again!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm so mad about that LC! I wanna go punch her for you! LOL. Nursing is a learning process for you and the baby. The LC should have been more compassionate. And, um, yah-gas pains! I didn't get any until 2 weeks after my c-section, which was weird. Everything was going fine until two weeks later. You feel like dying!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the sweet little guy! I hope your recovery just gets easier and easier from here! Love ya!
I am glad everything went well, but am sorry you had such a bad hospital experience. I thought they normally kept the babies for you and brought them to you when they needed to eat, unless you request otherwise. (At least that is how it was for me.) Anyways I am glad you are home with your sweet little one, he sure is cute.
ReplyDeleteOh Alyssa it makes me want to cry hearing your experience, I'm sorry it was so rough at the hospital, but am so Happy for you two to have Sterling home and healthy. He looks so sweet! I hope you are able to recover smoothly- I just can't imagine what a c-section recovery must feel like.
ReplyDelete